West Virginia, situated in the south eastern part of the United States, is known for its mountains and diverse topography. It is also known for a variety of recreational activities such as, whitewater rafting, skiing, fishing, hiking, hunting and mountain biking. The state of WV experiences a humid subtropical climate.
Being an LPN has become one of the fastest means of entering a medical field and earning a safe job. The doctors and the registered nurses rely on the licensed practical nurses (LPNs) for their help in monitoring and taking care of the patients. To start up your career with LPN, you first need to enroll yourself in WV LPN programs and then clear the licensure examination.
Details of LPN Training
West Virginia LPN programs, approved by the West Virginia State Board of Examiners for Licensed Practical Nurses, require you to be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma (or GED), and have knowledge about prerequisite subjects also. These programs are mainly offered by community colleges, vocational schools, universities, technical colleges and even online programs are also available. The 2 major components of these programs are: classroom and clinical training.
Upon graduating from the LPN training, you appear for the National Council Licensure Examination- Practical Nursing (NCLEX-PN). You need to submit a signed passport size photograph, an application fee of $75 and the transcripts from the nursing school to WV State Board of Examiners for LPNs for the application form of the licensure. Pearson Vue charges $200 as a fee for taking the examination. The LPN license must be renewed every 2 years before June 30 with a fee of $50 and 24 contact hours of continuing education.
West Virginia is not a member state of the Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC). But, the applicants holding valid out-of-state LPN licenses may apply for endorsement in WV with a non-refundable application fee of $50.
LPN Salary in West Virginia
As per the finding of the U. S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, the mean wages of LPNs in WV in May 2010 were $32,750 annually and $15.75 hourly.
LPN Schools in West Virginia
- Academy of Careers and Technology- Beckley
- B M Spurr School of Practical Nursing- Glen Dale
- Fayette Institute of Technology- Oak Hill
- Fred W Eberle Technical Center- Buckhannon
- Garnet Career Center- Charleston
- James Rumsey Technical Institute- Martinsburg
- John D Rockefeller IV Career Center- New Cumberland
- Monongalia County Technical Education Center- Morgantown
- Putnam Career and Technical Center- Eleanor
- Randolph County Vocational Center- Elkins
- Wood County School of Practical Nursing- Parkersburg
- United Technical Center- Clarksburg
- Wyoming County Vocational Technical Center- Pineville